Last Revised: October 14, 2015
How Do We Collect Personal Information?
Personal information may be collected in a number of ways when you visit our Site. We collect certain information you provide to us, such as when you register for an event, make a donation, or create a personal fundraising page. Such information may include your name, mailing address, email address, credit card number, and other contact or demographic information. We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect on our Site.
When you use the Site, some information is also automatically collected, such as your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, your operating system, the browser type, the address of a referring website, and your activity on the Site. We treat this information as personal information if we combine it with or link it to any of the identifying information mentioned above.
We may also automatically collect certain information through the use of “cookies” or web beacons.Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive at the request of a website. Among other things, cookies help us improve the Site and your experience. If we link cookies to any personally identifying information, we will treat this information as personal information. Web beacons are small, invisible graphic images that may be used on the Site or in emails relating to the Site to collect certain information and monitor visitors’ activity on the Site and to tell if an email we send you has been opened and acted upon.
We may store and process personal information in the United States and other countries.
How Do We Use the Personal Information We Collect?
We use personal information collected through our Site for the purposes described in this Policy or elsewhere on the Site. For example, we may use personal information we collect:
- to operate and improve our Site;
- to respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- to process your donations and event registrations;
- to send you confirmations, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, the Site;
- to communicate with you about upcoming events and provide you with news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- to request feedback and otherwise contact you about your use of the Site;
- to notify you about important changes to our Site; and
- for any other purpose for which the information was collected.
What Personal Information Do We Share With Third Parties?
We will not share the personal information we collect from you through this Site with third parties, except as described in this Policy or on the Site. For example, we may share personal information as follows:
- with vendors, consultants, and other service providers (“Service Providers”) who are engaged by or working with us in connection with the operation of the Site or the services we provide and who need access to such information to carry out their work for us;
- when you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you on the Site that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information;
- to comply with laws or respond to lawful requests and legal processes;
- in an emergency situation to protect the personal safety of the Foundation, site visitors, or any third party; and
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of Foundation assets, financing or acquisition, or in any other situation involving the transfer of all or part of the business assets of the Foundation.
We may also share aggregated or anonymized information that does not directly identify you.
We are not responsible for the actions of any independent third parties you may choose to engage with directly, nor are we responsible for any additional information you provide directly to any third parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices before disclosing information directly to any such parties. Nothing herein restricts the sharing of aggregated or anonymized information, which may be shared with third parties without your consent.
Links to Other Websites
What Steps Do We Take To Protect Your Information Online?
We take reasonable measures to help protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission can be guaranteed against interception or other types of misuse. To protect the confidentiality of personal information, you must not disclose your password to any other person. You are responsible for all uses of our website by any person using your password. Please advise us immediately if you believe your password has been misused.
What Choices Do You Have Regarding the Use of Your Information?
Most Web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove cookies and to reject cookies. If you choose to remove cookies or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or services of our Site.